Amend Your Federal Tax Return to Claim the Federal EITC

Did you find out you were eligible for the Federal Earned Income Tax Credit after you filed your taxes? Good news, you can still get this cash-back credit.

There are 2 ways to claim the credit by amending your tax return completing Form 1040X and enter information on Line 14:


Go to your preparer and request to file an amended return.

Even though it is past April 18, free tax preparation sites are still open in neighborhoods across the state. To find one, visit our Free Tax Prep Finder and enter your zip code.


Download and complete Form 1040X yourself:

Mail the form to:

Department of the Treasury

Internal Revenue Service

Fresno, CA 93888-0422


Tracking Your Amended Return

You should generally allow 8 to 12 weeks for Form 1040X to be processed. However, in some cases, processing could take up to 16 weeks. Use the Where’s My Amended Return application on to track the status of your amended return. It can take up to 3 weeks from the date you mail it to show up in our system.

You will need to provide the following information.

  • Your Taxpayer Identification Number (for most taxpayers that is their social security number).
  • Your date of birth.
  • Your ZIP code.